Apply to the Joint Program with Columbia University
Prospective students for the Joint Program with Columbia University’s School of General Studies must submit the Common Application and the List College Writing Supplement. The List College Office of Admissions distributes complete applications to Columbia University’s School of General Studies, and the schools make a joint admissions decision. List College accepts applications exclusively via the Common Application.
Prospective students should note that if they are applying to the Joint Program with Columbia’s School of General Studies, they may not apply to Columbia College or the School of Engineering. Applicants are also ineligible to apply to the School of General Studies if in the last three years they applied to any of these divisions and were not accepted.
Application Deadlines and Notification Dates
- Fall Early Decision Application Deadline: November 1
- Fall Early Decision Notification Date: Late December
- Early Action Application Deadline: January 1
- Early Action Notification Date: Late February
- Winter Early Decision Application Deadline: January 1
- Winter Early Decision Notification Date: Late February
- Regular Decision Application Deadline: February 1
- Regular Decision Notification Date: Late March
A complete application includes:
- The Common Application, submitted online
- The List College Writing Supplement, submitted online
- The $65 application fee or fee waiver request, submitted online
- Official high school and college transcripts with the secondary school report, to be submitted by a high school counselor.
- Guidance Counselor Evaluation (Due to large student caseloads, we understand if your counselor is unable to send a recommendation for you. Please contact us if this is the case. We would also encourage you to send an additional teacher recommendation letter in lieu of a counselor recommendation.)
- Two Teacher Evaluation forms from teachers who taught you in core academic subjects (English, foreign language, history/social science, mathematics, or science), preferably in your final two years of high school.
- The Mid-Year Report with first semester senior grades.
- Test results from either the SAT or ACT. Please see our standardized test policy page for more information.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores (if applicable). TOEFL/IELTS scores are required for students whose primary language is not English and who have not been enrolled in a school where English is the primary medium of instruction for four consecutive years.
OPTIONAL SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS:
Applicants to the Joint Program may choose to submit the following items in addition to their complete application:
- AP or IB Exam Scores
- Up to two additional letters of recommendation (i.e. rabbi, coach, mentor, etc.)
- Interview with a member of the List College Admissions team. Interviews can be scheduled either in-person or via Skype by filling out the online visit form on our website. Interviews are highly encouraged.