The JTS Library is open to the public. Proof of vaccination is required to enter JTS.
Individuals wishing to view Library exhibitions may enter, without prior appointment, with proof of vaccination. We also welcome groups for curator-led tours.
Learn about Library exhibits and events.
Who Can Use The Library?
The Library is freely open to the public. Those without JTS IDs must present proof of vaccination when entering JTS.
Bring your laptop and use The Library’s robust Wifi. There are no public computers available for use.
Please contact one of our reference librarians at firstname.lastname@example.org or call them at (212) 678-8844. They will be happy to answer questions or help you with what you need.
- Monday and Wednesday: 8:30 a.m.–8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday and Thursday: 8:30 a.m.–7:00 p.m.
The Library is closed on all Jewish holidays and on the following national holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Presidents’ Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving.
Library Borrowing Card
JTS students must validate their JTS ID card at the Registrar’s Office at the beginning of each semester and present it to JTS Library staff.
Library membership is available. Please speak with one of the librarians for details.
Your JTS email ID and password can be used to sign in to Makor, our online discovery tool, to access full-text articles, ebooks, and Hebrew text databases.
Your JTS Library Borrower Card number and pincode can be used to manage retrieving and borrowing printed materials. Contact Library staff to get your Borrower credentials.
- To order a book from storage (i.e., place a hold on that book): Click on “Sign in” on the upper right corner of the Makor screen and, with your Library Borrower Card number and pincode, sign in to your account. Then search for item, click on “Location,” click on “Request,” and complete the form. You will be notified when the item is available for pickup.
- To renew items: Log in to your account, click on “Loan,” select the item for renewal, and click “Renew.” The new due date will appear. Items can be renewed up to three times.
- Overdue books and fees: No online activity may be conducted for overdue books.
Fines and Fees
- Lost or damaged book fees are the cost of the book, plus a processing fee.
For more information, please contact the circulation desk at email@example.com or (212) 678-8844.
Exhibition and Loan of JTS Materials
The JTS Library’s mission includes contributing to the education of the broad public. We encourage partnerships and loans of items from our collection for exhibitions at established museums, libraries, and similar institutions. For consultation regarding items in our collection which might be appropriate for your exhibition, please contact our librarian for Special Collections at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our reference librarians are available to help you in person, or you can contact them at email@example.com or (212) 678-8844. Research guides are available for many subject areas. Reference services are available from 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
FOR REFERENCE REQUESTS IN SPECIALIZED AREAS:
- Make an appointment for reference assistance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (212) 678-8844.
- Request reference assistance for Special Collections by emailing email@example.com.
- Request assistance with our archives by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The JTS Library provides Interlibrary Loan (ILL) services, allowing users to obtain materials that are not at The JTS Library. Any user with borrowing privileges at The JTS Library may use this service. (JTS students and faculty have borrowing privileges at Columbia University, therefore The Library does not make ILL requests for items found in the Columbia University libraries.)
Libraries wishing to borrow from JTS will be charged a $15 per item fee. Requests should be placed through OCLC.
Reproduction Services and Permissions
The JTS Library provides a full range of reproduction services. See our fee schedule below. We provide permission to reproduce images or texts from our materials for books, films, and other media. Send request forms to email@example.com.
- To order copies, fill out our copy request form.
- For permissions, fill out the permission to publish request form.
Digital Images (Including Rare Materials and Archives)
|Original Digitization||Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.|
Note: Photocopies are permitted of the general collection and archival material, with the latter subject to the approval of the archivist or library staff.
|General Photocopies (there is a photocopy/scanner available in The Library)||$0.15/page|
Reproduction for Publication
Usage Fees for Film, Video, and Web Images
Note: There is a 5 percent levy on credit card payments.