At JTS our students come from diverse religious, ethnic, and social backgrounds. Our aim at the Office of Residence Life is to provide housing facilities and a residence atmosphere that will make all students comfortable as well as proud of their time at The Jewish Theological Seminary.
We believe deeply in the principles of respect, understanding, leadership, and social responsibility; therefore we strive to create an atmosphere in the residence halls that is conducive to Jewish living and complements the JTS academic experience. Our office is dedicated to providing opportunities for social bonding, community building, self-exploration, and personal growth.
Overview of Residence Halls
The List College Residence Hall is attached to the main JTS building. JTS is located at the northern end of Columbia University’s campus. Students living and studying at JTS are in close proximity to Columbia’s main campus and the many institutions and amenities in Morningside Heights and the Upper West Side of Manhattan. Our convenient location enables students to take full advantage of the cultural wealth of New York City. Bus and subway connections are within short walking distance of every residence hall and student housing apartment building.
- All on-campus rooms are furnished with a bed, dresser, wardrobe unit or closet, desk, chair, and bookcase.
- Common areas in suites and apartments within the residence halls are also equipped with a variety of lounge furniture and kitchen appliances.
- The List College Residence Hall features communal kitchens, study lounges, laundry facilities, cable television, high-speed Internet access, and 24/7 front entrance security.
- Residence hall common area kitchens enable residents to prepare their own meals. All kitchens must be kept kosher by the students living in their respective areas.
Residence Life Staff
JTS residence life staff includes the following people:
- The Director of Residence Life, who oversees and administers all student housing and residential operations at JTS.
- Three live-in Resident Directors (RDs), who live in an apartment or suite within each residence hall and manage their halls through policy enforcement, crisis management, counseling referral, and residential programming.
- Student leaders, who serve as Resident Advisors (RAs) and assist RDs by providing peer counseling and facilitating social and educational programs.
- Two live-in Jewish Life Directors, who plan religious programs for the community of each residence hall and provide support for students exploring their Jewish identities and observance.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Residence Life at (212) 678-8035 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also stop by the Office of Residence Life (3080 Broadway [at 122nd Street], Unterberg 210) Mondays through Thursdays between 9:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m.