Carol K. Ingall
Dr. Bernard Heller Professor Emerita of Jewish Education
Department: Jewish Gender and Women's Studies , Jewish Education
BA, Barnard College; BHL, The Jewish Theological Seminary; MAT, University of Chicago; MLS, University of Rhode Island; EdD, Boston University
Dr. Carol K. Ingall is the Dr. Bernard Heller Professor Emerita of Jewish Education at The Jewish Theological Seminary. Her areas of expertise are curriculum and instruction, moral education, and the history of American Jewish education, affording her ample opportunities to teach and explore what constitutes effective Jewish teaching and learning.
Dr. Ingall’s publications include: Moral Education in Middle Schools (Ablex, 1997); Transmission and Transformation: A Jewish Perspective on Moral Education (Melton Research Center, 1999), winner of the National Jewish Book Award in education; Down the Up Staircase: Tales of Teaching in Jewish Day Schools (JTS Press, 2006); and The Women Who Reconstructed American Jewish Education, 1910–1965 (Brandeis University Press, 2010).
Dr. Ingall has written numerous articles for the Journal of Jewish Education, Religious Education, and Conservative Judaism. She has presented papers at the conference of the Network for Research in Jewish Education, the organization that she chaired from 1999–2003, the Association of Jewish Studies, the Association for Moral Education, and the World Congress of Jewish Studies. In May 2002, she was the scholar-in-residence at Leo Baeck College in London.
She has served as a consultant on curricular projects, framing school visions, and mentoring new teachers.
- The Women Who Reconstructed American Jewish Education, 1910–1965. Lebanon, NH: Brandeis University Press, 2010.
(Dr. Ingall discusses the book in a podcast interview with the Forward and in a JTS Library Book Talk.)
- Down the Up Staircase: Tales of Teaching in Jewish Day Schools New York, NY: JTS Press, 2006.
- Transmission and Transformation: A Jewish Perspective on Moral Education. New York, NY: Melton Research Center, 1999.
- Maps, Metaphors and Mirrors: Moral Education in Middle Schools. Westport, CT: Praeger, 1997.
- “Jewish Education Caught in the Crossfire: The Values Wars”
- “Superman Without Spandex: The Elijah Narrative”
- “How Women Kidnapped Jewish Classrooms and Zionized American Jewry”
- “Esther Among the Muggles: Purim and Harry Potter”
- Jewish Education and its Love-Hate Relationship with the American Public School
- Pendulum Politics: The Curriculum as Ideology
Curriculum and instruction, moral education, and the history of American Jewish education.