Master’s degree programs at the William Davidson Graduate School of Jewish Education are specifically designed to help students cultivate the skills and experience necessary to become sought-after, transformational leaders in Jewish education.
Our programs are highly individualized, allowing students—under the guidance of an advisor—to tailor courses of study and practicum placements to their specific goals and interests.
How We Create Leaders
Inspiring innovation in Jewish education begins with mastery of the discipline. MA students at The William Davidson School benefit from:
- A rigorous curriculum that provides a solid grounding in Jewish studies, Hebrew, and education.
- Two different areas of focus: Pedagogy and Teaching or Educational Leadership.
- A pluralistic setting that encourages the examination of diverse experiences and ideas.
- Immersion in experiential education techniques through courses, retreats, and field trips throughout the New York metropolitan area.
- The flexibility to take classes with Teachers College (Columbia University) and Union Theological Seminary at no additional cost, as well as the option to pursue a dual degree in Jewish Studies at JTS
Alumni Spotlight: Yoni Stadlin, Eden Village Camp
Areas of Focus
- Pedagogy and Teaching: Builds transformational educators who go on to work directly with students in day school and early childhood education settings.
- Educational Leadership: Trains participants to become leaders of congregational schools and within communal agencies, as well as in entrepreneurial and informal settings.
Within the two areas of focus of Educational Leadership and Pedagogy and Teaching, there is opportunity for students to work with their academic advisors to craft concentrations that align with areas of professional interest.
By drawing upon Judaica and education and electives at both JTS and Teachers College, and through a practicum site, students can focus on a particular area of Jewish education, including: early childhood education; disabilities inclusion; Israel engagement; adult learning; arts education.
Programs in Israel
The William Davidson School offers students the option to enroll directly into our Online MA. Students enjoy the same comprehensive curriculum in education and Jewish studies as their colleagues at the New York City campus but take the majority of those courses online.
- Online MA students select one of the two master’s degree concentrations.
- The program allows students to complete their master’s degree at their own pace, giving them the flexibility to continue working in the field.
To learn more about Online MA requirements, specific courses, and practicum placements, visit the Academic Bulletin.