Note: The JTS Library is open to the JTS community and by appointment to the general public. The Library is following all JTS COVID-19 protocols, as well as additional, library-specific protocols.
Individuals wishing to view Library exhibitions may enter, without prior appointment, with proof of vaccination. We also welcome groups for curator-led tours. If interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who Can Use The Library?
- The Library is freely open to JTS students, faculty, and staff.
- Those without JTS IDs may make an appointment to visit The Library by completing the JTS COVID access policy. Please email email@example.com to submit your vaccine card and make an appointment.
Limited Capacity and Social Distancing
- Users may freely enter The Library. Each user will sign in with name, contact information, and the time they enter The Library. Once we meet the safe library capacity, we will ask the person who came in first to leave (assuming they have already been present for two hours) to make room for additional users.
- Each seating alcove may be used by one person at a time. The same is true for the collaboration room.
- Only one person may sit on alternating sides of adjacent carrels, so that no person is within six feet of another without a divider of some type.
- Seating will be spaced out. We ask that you keep all chairs in the position in which you find them.
- Bring your laptop and use The Library’s robust Wifi. There are no public computers available for use.
Please contact one of our reference librarians at firstname.lastname@example.org or call them at (212) 678-8844. They will be happy to answer questions or help you with what you need.
Summer and Fall 2022
- Monday and Wednesday: 8:30 a.m.–8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday and Thursday: 8:30 a.m.–7:00 p.m.
The Library is closed on all Jewish holidays and on the following national holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Presidents’ Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving.
Library Borrowing Card
JTS students must validate their JTS ID card at the Registrar’s Office at the beginning of each semester and present it to JTS Library staff.
Your JTS Library Borrower Card number and pincode can be used to manage retrieving and borrowing printed materials. Contact Library staff to get your Borrower credentials.
- To order a book from storage (i.e., place a hold on that book): Click on “Sign in” on the upper right corner of the Makor screen and, with your Library Borrower Card number and pincode, sign in to your account. Then search for item, click on “Location,” click on “Request,” and complete the form. You will be notified when the item is available for pickup.
- To renew items: Log in to your account, click on “Loan,” select the item for renewal, and click “Renew.” The new due date will appear. Items can be renewed up to three times.
- Overdue books and fees: No online activity may be conducted for overdue books.
Fines and Fees
- Lost or damaged book fees are the cost of the book, plus a processing fee.
For more information, please contact the circulation desk at email@example.com or (212) 678-8844.
Exhibition and Loan of JTS Materials
The JTS Library’s mission includes contributing to the education of the broad public. We encourage partnerships and loans of items from our collection for exhibitions at established museums, libraries, and similar institutions. For consultation regarding items in our collection which might be appropriate for your exhibition, please contact our librarian for Special Collections at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our reference librarians are available to help you in person, or you can contact them at email@example.com or (212) 678-8844. Research guides are available for many subject areas. Reference services are available from 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
FOR REFERENCE REQUESTS IN SPECIALIZED AREAS:
- Make an appointment to find reference assistance Request reference assistance or make an appointment for our Music collection, audiovisual materials, or microform materials by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (212) 678-8844.
- Request reference assistance for Special Collections by emailing email@example.com.
- Request assistance with our archives by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The JTS Library provides Interlibrary Loan (ILL) services, allowing users to obtain materials that are not at The JTS Library. Any user with borrowing privileges at The JTS Library may use this service. (JTS students and faculty have borrowing privileges at Columbia University, therefore The Library does not make ILL requests for items found in the Columbia University libraries.)
Libraries wishing to borrow from JTS will be charged a $15 per item fee. Requests should be placed through OCLC.
Reproduction Services and Permissions
The JTS Library provides a full range of reproduction services. See our fee schedule below. We provide permission to reproduce images or texts from our materials for books, films, and other media. Send request forms to email@example.com.
Digital Images (Including Rare Materials and Archives)
|Copies of Existing Digitized Image||$5.00/image|
|Original Digitization||Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.|
Note: Photocopies are permitted of the general collection and archival material, with the latter subject to the approval of the archivist or library staff.
|General Photocopies (there is a photocopy/scanner available in The Library)||$0.15/page|
Reproduction for Publication
Usage Fees for Film, Video, and Web Images
Note: There is a 5 percent levy on credit card payments.