Stories of Struggle, Rescue, and Renewal: The Holocaust and Its Impact Today
Date: Apr 23, 2017 - Apr 23, 2017
Time: 12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sponsor: JTS Learning in Your Community
Location: Chicago Area
Category: JTS in Your Community
The Isidore and Rose Wagner Institute for Leadership Development of JTS
This pre-Yom Hashoah program for adult learners, held in partnership with Rochelle Zell Jewish High School, features JTS’s outstanding faculty and fellows.
Sunday, April 23, 2017, 12:00 p.m.–5:00 p.m.
Rochelle Zell Jewish High School
1095 Lake Cook Road
Study Session Topics
- Lucy S. Dawidowicz and the Beginnings of Holocaust Education in the United States
- Book Smugglers: How a Group of Ghetto Inmates Rescued Jewish Treasures from the Nazis and Soviets
- The Jewish Heroes of Warsaw: The Afterlife of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising
- From Destruction to Rebirth: Jewish Displaced Persons and the Creation of the State of Israel
- Dr. David Fishman, Professor of Jewish History
- Rabbi David Hoffman, Vice Chancellor and Chief Advancement Officer
- Dr. Avinoam Patt, JTS Fellow and Philip D. Feltman Professor of Modern Jewish History at the University of Hartford
- Dr. Nancy Sinkoff, JTS Fellow and Associate Professor of Jewish Studies and History at Rutgers University
12:00–12:30 p.m. Lunch and registration
12:30–12:40 p.m. Opening/Welcome
12:40–1:10 p.m. Keynote Presentation
1:10–1:30 p.m. Essay Contest
1:40–2:50 p.m. Study Session I
3:00–4:10 p.m. Study Session II
4:15–4:30 p.m. Minha
4:30–5:00 p.m. Closing Session
$36 for advance registration; $50 at the door
Includes lunch and all program materials; discounts available for RZJHS alumni and JTS alumni and clergy
For more information, please contact Tani Schwartz-Herman at (212) 678-8996 or email@example.com.
In partnership with Am Yisrael Conservative Congregation, Anshe Emet Synagogue, Beth Hillel Congregation Bnai Emunah, Congregation Beth Judea, Congregation Beth Shalom, Moriah Congregation, North Suburban Synagogue Beth El
The Isidor and Rose Wagner Institute for Leadership Development of The Jewish Theological Seminary has been generously endowed by Nate Wagner and Ruth Braver (z”l).