A chaplaincy rotation needs to include access to a patient population for hands-on clinical work and regular supervision by a chaplain at the site. Students who are enrolled in PAS 7431, Methods of Pastoral Care and Counseling, may fulfill this requirement by completing two hours per week of pastoral visits concurrently with the course.
Potential settings for the chaplaincy rotation include:
- Forty-hour hospital chaplaincy rotation sponsored by The Rabbinical School in conjunction with the Center for Studies in Jewish Pastoral Care at the HealthCare Chaplaincy will next be held in May 2010. Click here for a program description. Sign up through The Rabbinical School office by Nov 27.
- Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE): This is a 400-hour, nationally accredited program.
- Chaplain Candidacy Program with the United States Military: There are paid summer military chaplaincy training programs available through the different branches of the armed forces. Contact the Military Chaplains Association of the United States of America, the US Army Chaplain; and for the Navy, call (800) 772-9767. Brochures are available in The Rabbinical School office. For US citizens only.
- Hebrew Home for the Aged in Riverdale: Rabbi Simon Hirschhorn can be contacted at (718) 581-1416 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. A Resnick Internship Field Placement Questionnaire for this site is available at The Rabbinical School.
- The Jewish Home and Hospital: Manhattan Division (on 106th Street), call: (212) 870-4959; the Bronx Division, under the supervision of Rabbi Bonnie Steinberg: (718) 579-0587; or Sarah Neuman Center for Healthcare and Rehabilitation, in Mamaroneck, under the supervision of Rabbi Sandy Bogin: (914) 777-6160.
- The chaplaincy program through Joint Chaplaincy Committee of MetroWest (New Jersey) Federation: Contact Cecille Asekoff at (973) 929-3168 or email@example.com or visit MetroWest Federation.
- A prison or other caregiving setting, under supervision and direction of the institution's chaplains: Contact the New York Board of Rabbis for local prison chaplaincy options.
- Visiting Nurse Service of New York Hospice Care: Contact Vincent M. Corso, M. Div., MSW, CSW, coordinator of spiritual care and bereavement services at (212) 290-3922.
- Riker's Island Prison Chaplaincy: Contact Rabbi Mel Sachs at firstname.lastname@example.org, (917) 774-7675 (cell), or (718) 546-4546 (office). This rotation consists of three hours per week for a whole semester.
- Jewish Hospice of Greater New York: Contact the office at (718) 921-7900.