Jewish Community Center of Norristown, Pennsylvania

  • Dates: 1943-1987
  • Size: .25 linear ft.
  • Number of Boxes: 1
  • Languages: English
  • Location: Special Collections Reading Room, Jewish Theological Seminary Library.
  • Restrictions: Reproduction of fragile items is not permitted; consult the archivist about literary rights.
  • Gift Of: Mrs. E.M. Kamsler
  • Date: January 20, 1988

TSH, 12/20/90


Table of Contents:


A Note on Folder Headings

Individual folders are identified in the following way on the left side of each folder: Name of Collection, box #/folder#, as in Ben Zion Bokser Papers, 4/22. Please use this format in citations and when referring to files for any other reason.


Historical Note

The Jewish Community Center of Norristown, Pennsylvania was founded in 1936 when the YMHA and Congregation Tiferes Israel merged.


Collection Description

This small collection consists entirely of printed material, 1943-1987. Annual reports, 1943-1979 with gaps, make up the bulk. Also included are: anniversary reports, 1961, 1968, and 1970; a report concerning the presentation of the 1954 William J. Shroder Memorial Award to the Norristown Jewish Community Center from the Council of Jewish Federations and Welfare Funds; a copy of the United Synagogue Review, March 1957, with a cover photograph of Rabbi Harold Kamsler, who became the center's leader in 1943; various brochures; a bulletin from an ecumencial Thanksgiving service, 1984; adult education programming material; and a 75th anniversary brochure, 1975, from Congregation B'nai Jacob, Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, where Rabbi Kamsler was also a rabbi.


Box List

Box  Folder(s)  Description 
   
  Annual Reports
1 1943 - 1961
 2 1962 - 1979
   
 3 Reports, Brochures, Bulletins, Programs, Publications, Adult Education Programming Material, 1946-1987