Individual folders are identified in the following way on the left side of each folder: Name of Collection, box #/folder#, as in Ben Zion Bokser Papers, 4/22. Please use this format in citations and when referring to files for any other reason.
Rabbi Sidney M. Bogner, born in New York in 1909, studied at the Teachers Institute of The Jewish Theological Seminary and the City College of New York, and earned a master's degree in Jewish history and rabbinical ordination from the Jewish Institute of Religion in 1938. Between 1938 and 1958, Rabbi Bogner served several congregations in Daytona Beach, Florida, and New York City, including the Sunnyside Jewish Center in Queens. From 1958 until his retirement in 1974 Rabbi Bogner was the rabbi of Congregation B'nai Israel of Kearney and North Arlington, New Jersey. He died in 1986.
Throughout his life, Rabbi Bogner was active in numerous Jewish and community associations, leading groups such as the Hudson County Mental Health Board, the New Jersey Police Square Club, the West Hudson Ministers Association, and the New Jersey Board of Rabbis, and holding memberships in many others. He served as chaplain at Fort Jay on Governor's Island during World War II, and later for the Kearney Police and Fire Departments, the Civil Air Patrol, and at several hospitals, including the Theresa Gratta Rehabilitation Center.
After his retirement Rabbi Bogner taught at Essex County College, where he was an adjunct professor of History, Philosophy, and Religion. He also taught classes for potential converts to Judaism under the auspices of the Institute on Judaism.
This small group of papers of Rabbi Sidney M. Bogner consists of a miscellany of items which document his personal and professional life and his involvement with community activities. Included are notes from a few of Rabbi Bogner's sermons. Also included are awards and certificates given to Rabbi Bogner by groups ranging from a class of converts under his instruction, to the Boys' Club of America. Biographical notes are included, including some prepared by his wife for a newspaper obituary, and others introducing him as a speaker in 1984. The collection also contains correspondence and documents relating to Bogner's community and civic activities, including the Grand Lodge of New York and the Rotary Club. The minutes of a City Council Meeting at which Bogner presented the invocation are included.
Four postcards from Bogner's grandfather, Moses Spiegel, written in Hebrew and Yiddish, 1935-1939, and Hebrew and English copies of Sidney Bogner's and Florence Lifchitz's marriage certificate, 1937, are in the family materials file. There is also a group of membership cards, identification passes, stickers and patches from the many organizations which Bogner belonged to or served. Included is a pass for the ferry to Governor's Island, and one issued by the fire department of New York allowing him, as chaplain, to enter fire lines.
Newspaper clippings include an editorial he wrote for Purim, articles about his retirement from Congregation B'nai Israel, and an obituary from the Jewish News. There are eleven photographs, showing the construction of the Bayside Jewish Center in 1938, Sunnyside Jewish Center, 1950, and B'nai Israel. Descriptions of these have been added to the Ratner Center database.
Bogner's documents from rabbinical organizations include the syllabus for Institute on Judaism classes, a directory of the New Jersey Rabbinical Assembly, and the Kashrut Commission's rules for caterers.
|1||1||Awards and certificates, 1950-1976|
|2||Biographical material, 1986; n.d.|
|3||City College of New York alumni material, 1959; 1984|
|4||Community and civic activities, 1950s-1980s|
|5||Congratulatory correspondence, 1938-1983|
|6||Essex County College, 1979|
|7||Family materials, 1935-1939|
|8||Membership cards, 1943-1984|
|9||Newpaper clippings, ca. 1960s-1980s|
|11||Rabbinical organizations, 1980s|
|12||Sermons. ca. 1950s-1960s; n.d.|
|13||Synagogue related material, 1952; 1957|