Individual folders are identified in the following way on the left side of each folder: Name of Collection, box #/folder#, as in Ben Zion Bokser Papers, 4/22. Please use this format in citations and when referring to files for any other reason.
Temple Beth Sholom, originally called the San Leandro Hebrew Congregation, was founded in San Leandro, California in 1886. Its sisterhood was founded in 1945. After World War II more families moved into the neighborhood and a Hebrew school was established. In 1947 the temple hired its first full-time rabbi, John J. Zucker, whose wife was instrumental in founding a children's day camp for the congregation. In 1953, the San Leandro Hebrew Congregation moved to its new location on Dolores Ave., and changed its name to Temple Beth Sholom.
Temple Beth Sholom has been active in both community and international issues since the early 1960s, when it held special Shabbat service for Jewish servicemen at Camp Parks. Beth Sholom began holding Israel Bonds dinners at around this time as well. In the late 1960s, the temple played an important role in the planning and building of the Fargo Senior Center, an apartment house for the elderly of modest means in San Leandro.
Records of Temple Beth Sholom consist of three items: a photocopy of a certificate of incorporation of the San Leandro Hebrew Congregation from California's department of state, 1889; a photocopy of a document, 1970, listing contributors to the relocation and restoration of the temple's building, built in 1889; and a copy of the synagogue's centennial yearbook, 1986.