Declaring your List College major
You may declare a List College major in either the second semester of your sophomore year or the first semester of your junior year. When you are ready to choose your major, your List College Dean's Office adviser will discuss the many majors available to you. The steps are:
1. Make an appointment with the undergraduate adviser for your chosen major.
2. Fill out the major declaration form.
3. Meet with the major adviser to discuss declaring your major and obtain his or her signature on the form.
4. Bring the signed form back to the List College Dean's Office.
Your List College Dean's Office adviser will continue to be the one who:
List College Majors
Bible and Ancient Semitic Languages
Jewish Art and Visual Culture
Jewish Gender and Women's Studies
Medieval and Early Modern Jewish Studies
Midrash and Scriptural Interpretation
Modern Jewish Studies
Talmud and Rabbinics
Creating Your Own Interdisciplinary Major
Students who are interested in a specific area of Jewish studies that is taught at JTS but not listed above may have the option of creating their own interdisciplinary major. If you are intterested in creating your own interdisciplinary major, please follow these steps:
1. Meet with your List College adviser to discuss your options. (In this meeting, you may talk about your interests, possible ways of fitting them into existing majors, and/or which faculty member might advise your potential interdisciplinary major.)
2. Meet with the faculty member(s) you and your adviser have identified as possible advisers.
3. Develop a proposal for your interdisciplinary major.
4. Submit your proposal to the List College dean.