Academic Standards

Academic Standards

Regular attendance is expected. Instructors shall have the right to stipulate attendance requirements and penalties that may be incurred as a result of failure to comply with these requirements, provided that they so stipulate within the first two weeks of the semester.

The grading system is as follows: A, excellent; B, good; C, fair; D, poor; F, failure. No credit will be given for grades of C- or lower.

Once a grade has been received in the registrar's office, it may be changed by the course instructor only upon written application from the instructor to the dean of the school in which the student is enrolled. The dean's approval will be required.

Graduate students are permitted to take one course per year pass/fail, with the permission of the departmental or program adviser. Hebrew language courses and prerequisites cannot be taken pass/fail.

The grade R signifies that the student has attended classes and completed all course work except for the final exam and/or paper. Students must notify the Office of the Registrar, in writing by the date stipulated in the academic calendar, of their intention to audit. Failure to do so will mean that the course is being taken for credit. No credit will be given for courses taken for the grade R; such courses will not count toward fulfilling the requirements for the degree.

With the permission of the dean, students may withdraw from a course by the date listed in the academic calendar. In such cases, the symbol W will appear on the transcript. Students who discontinue attendance in a course and who fail to withdraw formally within the designated period will receive the appropriate alternate letter grade.

Academic Probation
An MA or DHL student who receives in any one semester one grade of D (or lower) or two grades of C (or lower) will be placed on academic probation the following semester. To be restored to good standing, a student must register for course work for the next semester equivalent to the number of credits that led to the probation and may neither receive a grade lower than B- nor take an Incomplete during the semester of probation. Failure to meet this standard will constitute grounds for dismissal. The student shall have the right to appeal in accordance with the Student Disciplinary Procedures, available in the Office of the Registrar.

A PhD student who receives a grade lower than B will be placed on academic probation the following semester. To be restored to good standing, the student must register for the next semester and may neither receive a grade lower than B nor take an Incomplete during the semester of probation. Failure to meet this standard will constitute grounds for dismissal. The student shall have the right to appeal in accordance with the Student Disciplinary Procedures, available in the Office of the Registrar.

Students in The Graduate School are permitted no more than one semester of probation toward any degree.

A student who, for compelling reasons, finds it necessary to postpone the submission of required course work may petition for an Incomplete (INC). The student must obtain a Request for Incomplete Form from the Office of the Registrar. This form must contain all information requested, including a description of the work to be completed and the due date, which cannot be later than the date specified in the academic calendar. The form must be signed by the student, instructor, and dean, or academic adviser. The form must be returned to the Registrar's Office. The last day to request an INC and submit the form is indicated in the academic calendar.

All outstanding course work must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar no later than the date specified in the academic calendar. Generally, this date is six weeks from the end of the final examination period.

The registrar shall record that the work has been submitted and provide a written receipt to the student for the work received. The registrar will transmit the completed work to the instructor. No work should be sent or given directly to the instructor by the student. The student is advised to retain a copy of all work submitted to the registrar's office.

After a student has the receipt for the submitted work, the grade of INC shall remain on the student's transcript until a grade has been submitted by the instructor.

If a student fails to submit the outstanding work to the registrar's office by the specified due date, the grade of INC will be converted to the alternate letter grade previously submitted by the instructor. This alternate grade reflects the instructor's assessment of a student's performance taking into account the fact that work is missing. Students should be aware that the missing work may have been counted as an F (or 0) in the computation of the final grade for the course.

In special circumstances, the dean has the authority to grant an extension for the submission of overdue work as long as it is agreeable to the instructor. This extension must be sent in writing by the dean to the registrar's office.

All incompletes must be submitted and awarded grades before a student can move on toward their other degree requirements, including preparing for comprehensive exams and the writing of a thesis or dissertation. Incompletes can stand permanently only when a student has completed enough other credits to fulfill the degree requirements.

Students may not request an INC for any course during the semester of their graduation.

Absence From Final Examinations
A student who, because of illness or personal emergency, cannot be present for a scheduled final examination must inform the registrar's office as soon as possible to indicate the reasons for the absence. The Registrar's Office will inform the instructor and the dean of the student's absence. The student must arrange with the instructor for a make-up examination if the student still cannot be present for the regularly scheduled make-up examination day. The instructor will inform the Registrar's Office of the arrangement and provide the office with the exam so that it can be given to the student.

Students may not request incompletes in advance for an in-class final examination. The student must take the make-up examination as soon as possible, but no later than the date indicated in the academic calendar governing the completion of outstanding work.

Leave of Absence
Students who, for compelling reasons, are unable to take courses or continue with appropriate academic progress in a particular semester may request a leave of absence from the dean and must register for a leave of absence each semester until they resume their studies.

MA students may generally not be granted a leave of absence for more than one semester; DHL and PhD students, for not more than two semesters. During the period of leave, a student may not take an examination, written or oral, be advised by the academic adviser, or submit any part of a thesis or dissertation required for the completion of a degree.

Continuous Registration
The Continuous Registration category applies to matriculated students who, for extenuating academic circumstances, cannot register for graduate school courses in a given semester but will still receive academic advisement. Students who have completed all course work and who are eligible for Extended Residence may not enroll as Continuous Registration.

Graduate school students may enroll in the Continuous Registration category for no more than one semester while in residence in New York.

Graduate school students who are dually enrolled in the the JTS rabbinical or cantorial schools and who cannot take courses in The Graduate School during their required semester or year in Israel should enroll as Continuous Registration in The Graduate School.

MA students who have not completed their course work but take courses only during the summer sessions must register for Continuous Registration each semester. Students must attend at least one summer session each year to be eligible.

Written approval must be obtained from a dean of The Graduate School to register for the Continuous Registration category.