Government Programs

Federal Programs

To be eligible for aid under any one of these programs, students/degree candidates must be enrolled at least half-time in an eligible program and must meet one of the following citizenship requirements:

  • US citizen;
  • US national;
  • US permanent resident who has an I-151 or I-551 (Alien Registration Receipt Card);
    permanent resident of the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands; or has one of the following documents from the US Immigration and Naturalization Service:
    • I-94 (Arrival Departure Record) with one of the following endorsements:
      • adjustment applicant;
      • refugee;
      • conditional entrant;
      • indefinite parole; or
      • other proof from the US Immigration and Naturalization Service that one is in the United States for other than a temporary purpose.

Persons in the United States on an F1 or F2 student visa or a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa are not eligible for federal student aid.

Students cannot be in default on prior federal loans or owe a repayment on any federal grant program.

Students must register with the Selective Service Administration and, if required, sign a statement attesting to such registration and their intent to use the funds only for expenses related to their education.

The programs in which JTS participates are described below:

Pell Grant Program
Note: These awards vary from year to year, depending on congressional legislation. For current awards, please consult the Financial Aid Office.

Pell Grants are based on an assessment of financial need but may not amount to more than one-half the cost of attendance. The amount of the grant depends on the family's financial status and on the cost of attendance at the school. Awards may be granted for the entire period required to complete a first bachelor's degree.

To apply, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Applications must be received by March 1 of the academic year prior to the one for which the student is applying.

State Programs

New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
TAP awards are based on need. There is no qualifying examination. The applicant must:

  • Be a New York State resident;
  • Be a United States citizen, permanent resident alien, refugee, paroled refugee, or conditional entrant;
  • Be enrolled full-time and matriculated in an approved program at a postsecondary school in New York State;
  • Be in good academic standing;
  • Meet income and dependency requirements specific to TAP;
  • Not be in default on a federal student loan.

Stafford Student Loans

JTS participates in the Federal Direct Loan Program which works with the U.S. Department of Education to process these loans. Detailed information regarding this program can be found on the U.S. Department of Education's website. Federal Direct Loans are available to students who are enrolled at least half-time and are U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

Please consult with the JTS Financial Aid Department for more detailed information.